Until this conversation I had with my friend a few months ago (refer to the brief dialogue below), I perceived a person's state of "being depressed" merely as feelings of incompetency from peer pressure, or from one's lack of self-esteem and self-efficacy, which are dependent variables defined by how the person had been raised. Ultimately, depression was not a big deal to me
because I was taught that in life,"what goes up must come down". I can not fathom how
meticulously conjured the condition of depression is, in the sense that it is often self-induced by negative thoughts networked in the brain for the long term effect. This means the more negative thoughts a person has, the longer he condition persists. My friend's answer left me in slight awe and contemplation.
My Friend says: I'm always depressed.
I respond: Really? You've always seemed fine. Why is it you are depressed?
My Friend answers: If I knew why, it wouldn't be called depression.
I searched online about this mental and emotional condition named depression. But first off, this mental illness can be treated according to Health Canada. Most online sources define depression as a condition caused either by external factors - such as financial difficulties, addictions, relationship problems, and so forth - or internal, genetically predisposed reasons.
I changed my search key-words to "Cure for Depression" and successively stumbled across the following unconvincing website regarding natural cures.
It appears to claim that all depressed people need is L-tyrosine as "a" natural cure.
In order to conquer depression, there is an essential need for a supportive social environment and just time. Even if a person is predisposed to feeling sorrow all the time, they can see the bright side of life if others given constructive feedback on his or her ways of doing things in their life style to slowly help him or her build confidence.
(Note: I did not use APA format as I have already hyperlinked the websites in the post.)
http://depression.readabout.net/Self-Induced-in-How-to-Manage-and-Conquer-Depression.html
http://www.healthtree.com/articles/depression/treatment/major/
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/diseases-maladies/depression-eng.php
http://www.cmha.ca/bins/index.asp
http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Signs_symptoms
No comments:
Post a Comment